Thursday, March 13, 2008
Oracle Financials Technical Interview Questions and Score Sheet
Over the last few years I’ve been involved in interviewing a number of Oracle Financials Consultants and have also in the past been sitting on the other side of the desk as an interviewee. The last time I conducted an interview it was more technical in nature and I decided to came up with a list of questions to ask the interviewee. These questions were focused along the lines of people, process and technology and I thought I would write a blog entry with the questions as I’m sure it will be useful for interviewers and interviewee’s alike. In addition to the questions I also developed a score sheet utilising the Kepner Tregoe decision making methodology, an approach I learnt when doing my Masters in Business Leadership (MBL). This score sheet allows the interviewer to develop an objective means of evaluating the answers to interview questions rather than a subjective one and can be modified to suit a number of different scenarios. I haven’t included any answers to the questions as in many cases there is no right answer, I prefer to see if someone understands the concepts and can explain them well. Having said that, if any one wants to come up with a suggested answer sheet I will gladly append it to the questions listing. Hopefully this question listing and score sheet will provide readers with a baseline/guideline that can be used in any type of interview.
- Download Oracle Financials Technical Interview Questions
- Download Oracle Financials Technical Interview Score Sheet
- Explain the organisational concepts of business group, set of books, legal entity, operating unit and inventory organization and the hierarchical structure relating to these.
- What are the three C’s in relation to a set of books?
- Explain the difference between a key flexfield and descriptive flexfield
- What is the difference between a cross validation rule and a security rule?
- What is a value set and what are the different types of value sets that you will find within Oracle?
- Describe the Key Configuration decisions you would need to undertake when implementing the Accounts Payable module.
- Briefly describe the Supplier Invoice to Payment process within Oracle.
- Describe the Key Configuration decisions you would need to undertake when implementing the Accounts Receivable module.
- Briefly describe/draw the Customer Invoice to Cash process within Oracle
- Describe the Key difference in setting up accounting for Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable
- What happens when you have a receipt in Oracle that can’t be applied to an invoice?
- Describe the key configuration decisions you would need to undertake when implementing the fixed assets module.
- Briefly describe/draw the asset additions process within Oracle.
- Describe the key configuration decisions you would need to undertake when implementing the cash management module.
- Outline the Statement to Reconciliation process within Oracle with particular reference to the different options you might want to consider when reconciling.
Describe/draw the sequence of events you would undertake in closing the various financials modules.
- Draw a typical structure relating to project implementation and describe the role each person would play within a project.
- Describe how to implement an effective training strategy within an implementation – include the timing of training relative to the project lifecycle.
- Within an implementation describe a Change Management strategy that you would put in place.
- Describe/draw the main phases of an implementation lifecycle and the key milestones and deliverables within each of these phases.
- Describe the key differences between a process and work instruction
- Within a project describe the different test phases that you might go through and what level of testing would be undertaken.
- Describe a typical process you would implement for managing Change Requests and Bug requests within your organization.