Oracle XML gateway
Posted: 31 March 2008 01:59 PM
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-03-31

Hi All,
I am new to Oracle XML gateway.Could anyone help me how to use it and how to map data from RDBMS to XML.I have installed Oracle XML message designer.

Thanks in Advance.

Posted: 20 April 2009 05:08 AM   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-20

That’s a pretty broad question, but don’t be discouraged.  Your first step is to establish if there is already a seeded map for the data/transactions of interest.  There are a growing number of pre-built maps for the most common B2B transactions as well as some A2A (although those are a bit harder to find but they’re there).  A good place to start is the Oracle Integration Repository (iRep).  http://irep.oracle.com/

There, you can browse by module, etc. and establish if there is already a map.  You can pretty much take it for granted if you are on 11.5.10 or r12 that there will already be prebuilts for most Order To Cash and Procure To Pay transactions - you’ll find them under their respective modules but also consolidated under the CLN module.  You can also query the ECX tables if you prefer that more technical method - to see what’s loaded already and what isn’t (that may be helpful for A2A, but its still a bit cryptic and depends on the maps themselves having been created with good information in the descriptions field).

But… in a nutshell… to map outbound data (from RDBMS to XML) you first create the source definition.  This means that you use the XML Gateway Message Designer tool to make a database connection.  Then you browse for the table(s) and use the wizard to create a definition of the levels.  There is quite a lengthy explanation of this process in the XML Gateway Users Guide - start there.

For the Target definition you will need to have a DTD.  You should start by looking into OAG 7.2.1 definitions and go from there.  You can also create one from scratch if you don’t find what you need.

Once you have created both the source and target definitions, you can map the levels (again this is explained in greater detail in the UG), then move on to mapping the elements.

The best advice I can give you in addition to this is to take a good look at prebuilt maps that come close to fitting your needs (if they don’t meet them exactly that is).  Analyze them thoroughly and that will be a great headstart - use the Oracle XML Gateway Message Designer tool to do that, you’ll have a really tough time if you just download the .xgm and look at the XML.

I hope this helps!

Best,

Meg Hanson
Oracle XML Gateway Consultant

Posted: 29 September 2009 05:07 PM   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-29

HI nerdletta! Thanks for the reply. Really useful for a newbie like me.

Regards,
softpout
Placement financier