Posted: 21 May 2007 07:53 PM
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2006-10-09

There are several different types of patches following are more common patches

One-Off Patch
This is simplest Patch to resolve a specific bug

Minipack Patch
Collection of One of Patches and enhancements related to a particular module. Alphabetic character denotes the Minipack version for the module.

Family Pack Patch
Collection of Minipack patches for a particular family group of application modules

Maintenance pack patch
This is collection of family packs that serves as point level release upgrade

Consolidated patch
Collection of one-off fixes for a family pack or maintenance pack Oracle Application 11.5.10 Consolidated Update 2 (CU2) is an example of consolidated patch.

Interoperability patch
Patch that is required for application to function with a newer version of technology stack

NLS patch
Patch that updates language specific information for multi language installation

Rollup patch
This is a collection of one off patches that update code levels for particular product

Legislative patch
Special patch for HR payroll customers it contains legislative data for multiple countries

Signature 

Regrads
Ahmad Bilal
http://oracleebusinesssuite.blogspot.com/

Posted: 24 May 2007 03:36 PM   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2006-05-15

Thanks so much for this very important post Ahmad. I work as a support consultant, and patching and upgrades are activities we
do every now and again. However, being from a functional background, I had never really got to know what all these various patches are all about. I now have a clear understanding of what each patch does, and what its role is.

Timothy.