Is it costy to keep Oracle application for inquiry only?
Posted: 19 March 2007 03:13 PM
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-03-19

I am facing problem in my work recently.  My company has implemented Oracle Application version 11.5.10.2 (with RDBMS : 9.2.0.7.0) for global.  Before this global application go-live, Asia has built another Oracle application version 11.5.5 (with RDBMS : 8.1.7.4.0).  My US IT folks trying to push us shut down Asia application due to maintenance cost.  However, for Finance audit reason, this application need to keep for 10 years for user inquiry.  Do you know is it very costy to keep Oracle application (AR & GL module) for inquiry only?

Posted: 21 May 2007 08:57 AM   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-05-21

If your 11.5.5 application is currently on a server shared with other production applications, then the costs would relatively be the same to maintain that server.  If it were on a dedicated server, then it the cost would reduce becuase you will no longer have the sysadmin and dba upkeep costs. You will still need some DBA maintenance costs.
No new data will also be entered so hardware costs will not increase either.

Your 11.5.5 will become what they call in business as asset that won’t be adding much value to the business.  To minimize on maintenance costs, you might want to consider outsourcing some of the maintenance of your 11.5.5 instance.  This way you can have your technical team focus and improve ther skills on your current instance instead having to maintain 11.5.5 skills.

Keeping your AR history may have benefits, though.  Historical customer information is uselful when reviewing customer sales and credit information.  This may also help in your marketing (with Marketing Online), collection (with Advanced Collections) and credit (with Credit Management) objectives.  But getting the information from your existing 11.5.5 instance is another matter.